What is a low-carb diet?
Losing weight has always been a difficult task for some even after following rigorous diet plans. A low-carb diet is shaped while placing protein-rich and nutrient-dense food in focus while building a calorie deficit diet plan which helps in quick weight loss. By restricting carbohydrate intake and increasing protein consumption, the body is forced into a calorie deficit state which helps weight loss. At our Health and Wellness Center, we focus on assisting you with a personalized diet plan that best suits your body.
What to include in a low-carb diet: Nuts, Meat, Fish, Eggs, Vegetables, Fruits, and natural fats, like butter.
What not to include in a low-carb diet: Bread, Pasta, sugary foods
Before jumping into the bandwagon of diets, one should be aware of how well suited it is according to the lifestyle and individual preferences to help us keep going with it. At our Wellness Center, we guide you through it. As a comprehensive guide to a low-carb diet, here is a little insight into planning what needs to go into one’s plate for the results to be at par with expectations.
- To be Included:
- Any type of meat like Beef, lamb, pork, chicken and others. Fat on the meat as well as chicken skin is also allowed in this diet.
- Fish and Seafood
- All types of fish like salmon, mackerel, trout, haddock, herring, sardines etc.
- Any type of egg preparations like boiled, scrambled, fried, omelettes, etc.
- Natural Fat
- Include butter, cream coconut oil, olive oil or fish oil in cooking to give the food an added taste as well as enrich the food with natural fats. High-fat sauces such as Béarnaise or Hollandaise sauce can also be used.
- Vegetables (Not Underground)
- Vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, zucchini, asparagus, eggplant, mushrooms, etc that grow above the ground and other greens are low in carbs.
- Almonds, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts, Brazil nuts, Pecan nuts and Macadamia nuts are low carb options that can be munched on.
- Diary Products
- Include high-fat dairy products like heavy cream, cheese, butter, and greek / Turkish yogurt.
- Fruits that are low in cards such as Apples, oranges, watermelon, pears, blueberries, strawberries, peaches etc. are a good addition to the diet.
- Say no to these
While on a low-carb diet, as much attention goes into planning what to include in the diet is required on deciding what should not be included in the plan.
- Sugar in any processed form is a speed breaker to any form of diet plan. Make sure to not include food laden with sugar or sweet beverages like fruit juices, candy, sodas, ice creams, soft drinks, chocolates etc.
- Processed Food
- Processed foods are loaded with preservatives, other additives and sugar which all screams NO if you are planning to lose weight. Hence it is safe to avoid processed foods.
- Refined Grains
- Refined grains like wheat, rye, rice, barley etc are sources of refined carbohydrates. Starchy food sources like bread, cereal, pasta, porridge etc should also be avoided.
- Food comprising transfat similar to hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils need to be withdrawn from the diet and substituted with food containing healthy fats.
- Alcoholic Beverages
- It is advised to avoid alcoholic beverages, particularly beer which is a source of a high amount of calories.
- Specific Fruits
- Even though every diet plan welcomes the addition of fruits, we need to be careful while choosing them as fruits such as mangoes, figs, and raisins are usually high in sugar and carbohydrates. Berries such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
How to plan your diet?
- Start the day with a healthy meal
Breakfast, light or moderate, helps keep mid-day hunger pangs at bay. It is also essential in providing a metabolism boost and reducing unhealthy cravings. Eating at regular intervals enables the body to regulate itself and thus keep the diet goals in check.
- Pay attention to carb intake
Counting carbs are recommended while implementing a diet plan as it helps limit an individual from getting carried away at the table and stay within the allowed portion limit. Being attentive to portions and the calories it carries helps us in the weight loss journey in a huge way.
- Substitute high-carb with low-carb options
With the range of options available now, it is easier to find a low-carb substitute for most of the high-carb options available in the market without having to negotiate on quality or flavor. For Example, Rice or Potatoes, which are high carb and starchy food can be substituted with Cauliflower, a low carb alternative.
- Stay alert on hidden sugars
It is always a healthy practice to check the food labels for their contents. As what is advertised might not be all that is hidden within the contents of our food. The amount of hidden sugar in most of the packed foods available in the market is indeed a hindrance in someone trying to achieve a weight loss goal.
- Always have Plan B
With a restrictive diet plan, we always need to have a Plan B that will help take care of unexpected situations where our strict plans might not work out, like social gatherings, events, etc. Try to control the portions and maintain the calorie intake and stick as much as you can in such situations.
We understand the importance of individual wellbeing and its dependency on food intake by the person. Our Wellness Clinic focuses on individual lifestyle plans after analyzing each person in particular for all the factors influencing their lifestyle and wellbeing.